Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Rain Barrels

I have one rain barrel. That's really not enough to make a difference during the dry season, yes the Pacific Northwest does have a dry season! In the future I'd love to have a system for storing water but for now I have my one little rain barrel. Its overflow goes over to a little pond. Really little, only about 18 inches deep and maybe two feet across. Around the pond I planted a rain garden with water loving plants.

Here's a picture. Drizzle's a bit blurry, but you get the idea. The green hose goes to the pond. Normally the hose is connected at the middle for the over flow, but it had been freezing so I'd put it down at the bottom to drain the tank. Obviously it was no longer freezing when this picture was taken.


This is what the area looked like in the summer. 


Here's what it looks like now.

I looked at the pond one day when it wasn't raining and realized that the ducks had filled it with the dirt from around it.  A few inches of water was above the mud in the pond, and when it rains the whole area floods because the ground around the pond is lower. As spring arrives I have a feeling I'm going to have to clean out the pond and fence of the area if there is to be any hope of having a lovely shade garden around my pond again this year.



2 comments:

  1. Your rain barrel is pretty charming. However, you are going to have to level things up now that we are being hit by the threat of water scarcity. You can’t afford to just have that little rain barrel in your backyard. In any case, thanks for sharing your insights, as well as your pictures of that makeshift pond.

    Bert Aguilar @ Rainfill Tanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Bert. :)
    If I could afford a cistern or larger rain barrel system I would have one. It's definitely something to aim for in the future.

    ReplyDelete